The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) has recently given tips for cleaning and disinfecting dishes, clothes, bathrooms and surfaces during home quarantine.
Cleaning surfaces and bathrooms:
- Hands must be washed using soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before and after cleaning.
- Assign one person who is in good health without any risk conditions for cleaning and disinfection.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily (e.g. tables, chairs, doorknobs, light switches, remotes, handles, desks, sinks, stair rails, and bedframes).
- For disinfection, use diluted household bleach solution (1-part bleach to 99-parts water). For surfaces that do not tolerate bleach, 70% ethanol can be used.
- Clean and disinfect bathrooms and toilet surfaces at least once a day.
- Clean toilets with a separate set of cleaning equipment (disposable cleaning cloths, mops, etc).
- If a separate bathroom is not available, the shared bathroom should be cleaned and disinfected after each use by the person under home quarantine.
- Wear disposable gloves, mask and protective clothing (e.g. plastic aprons) when cleaning.
- Avoid contact with eye and skin when handling cleaning products and keep them away from children.
Cleaning and disinfecting clothes, towels and other items from laundry:
- For soft surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes, remove visible dirt if present and clean with appropriate products indicated for use on these surfaces.
- After cleaning, launder items as appropriate using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely. Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty laundry and then discard after each use.
- Do not shake dirty laundry to minimize the possibility of dispersing the virus through the air.
- Clean clothes, bed cloths, bath and hand towels, etc. using regular laundry soap and water or machine wash at 60 degrees to 90 degrees with common laundry detergent and dry thoroughly
Cleaning and disinfecting dishes, glasses and other foodservice items:
- The person under home quarantine should eat in their room, preferably using disposable food utensils and throw them immediately after use.
- Non-disposable food utensils used should be handled with gloves and washed with hot water and soap or in a dishwasher.
For more information, please visit: MOPH