A press conference by the Ministry of Public Health was held on 23rd June 2020 to discuss the latest developments and statistics related to coronavirus in Qatar on Qatar TV and Al Rayyan TV.
Dr Hamad Al Romaihi, Director of Health Protection and Communicable Disease Control at the Public Health Department and co-chair of the National Pandemic Preparation Committee, along with Dr Abdullatif Al Khal, Chair of the National Strategic Group on COVID-19 and Head of the Infectious Diseases Division at Hamad Medical Corporation spoke at the press conference:
Key messages from the MOPH press conference:
• We have passed the peak stage of coronavirus.
• Number of new infections & admissions into hospitals has reduced each week.
• Increase in number of deaths in the recent weeks, they were infected due to the peak stage of the virus previously.
• Increase in positive cases among Qataris & expats.
• Important time to be cautious & protect those who are at higher risk like the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions.
• We are midway through phase 1 of the lifting of restrictions, but phase 2 can only continue if data shows continual improvement.
• Everyone must follow all precautions and measures as the restrictions are lifted.
•The MOPH surveillance team tracks & traces cases to identify how the virus is transmitted.
•We continue to see examples of people ignoring preventive measures, resulting in one or more positive cases within contacts.
•Unless we adhere to preventive measures, we cannot pass this critical time.
•No member of the society should be complacent. Everyone has a role to play in the lifting of restrictions and protecting the elder and people with chronic conditions.